On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Monday, November 28, 2011

My small journey is winding down...............

November 28, 2011

Today I am telling you about my experience with writing a blog every day (minus one) for the whole month of November - I realize today is not the last day of November or Diabetes Awareness month – I have a blog in mind for tomorrow that I feel will mean something to me and one for the last day based on things our family is doing – so thought I would write my what I learned by writing this blog today:

As we begin to wrap up the month of November and Diabetes Awareness month I started to think back to how excited I was to take the opportunity to write a blog each day about diabetes and our families life.  At first I was worried no one would read it, that it would sit out in the abyss of the internet without making a difference.  The number one thing I learned during this month long venture – that telling your story makes a difference, that voicing your concerns and explaining things to people can make an impact.  I am glad I no longer have to think of an idea each and every day – but the journey was worth it!

I honestly can say that I have probably learned as much, if not more, than most people that have been following my blog. It has been daunting, fun, emotional and educational for me every day that I have posted something onto the site.

Through the month I have enjoyed hearing from my son, my husband, my daughter and her grandparents on how they feel this new life has affected them. There were some things they expressed that surprised me a lot – and some I was glad I already knew.  For instance I didn’t know that my daughter thought she tested a lot at school, but she wrote that over and over in her blog. Apparently that is one concern of hers I can take with me and work on with her now at school. I got to hear the passion of my son for his family and how he is really going to be one of those really nice guys (just like his dad) when he grows up. I learned where my husband sees challenges and finds his solace to maintain the control of this situation in his life. And I got to glimpse through Allison’s grandparents eyes and saw how our lives look from the perspective of those that deal with us regularly but aren’t in it day in and day out.

I got educated. I posted a few blogs about specific terms, and issues and upcoming research. I didn’t know a lot of those things before I sat down and researched them or before I went to the research night with my son. I knew that there was a possible artificial pancreas – I had no idea what it did or anything or how realistic it was to be completed and available – but it is not a cure – just a better way of management. I learned that an actual cure for Type 1 diabetes isn’t really any closer now than it was 10 years ago – however researchers would have you think otherwise – but I did a lot of research and it all sounds the same as it did 10 years ago. But the artificial pancreas could be a promising new device to sustain Allison’s health much better and longer – so that is good news!  

I also learned a great deal about myself. I know, that like everyone I will do whatever needs to be done to make sure my child is healthy and happy – but I have learned that that sometimes comes with a mental downside. I learned I can be strong even when I don’t feel like I can be and that I can be weak and there will be someone there to pick me up along the way. I learned who my friends were – the ones that took the time to read this – to care enough to share this blog to teach others in their worlds (no words express my gratitude for those around me at this time in my life).  

I also found out that I can express my inner most thoughts and put it out there for the world to see and no one will think less of me – they might actually identify with me. I learned the world is bigger than my little community around me and people in Russia, Canada and India were reading about our little life here in Maryland.

I have experienced highs and lows (just like my daughter’s blood sugars) this month but I learned that life is going to go on – that diabetes, for the time being, is a part of that life for us – but life will still go on for us. We will not sit still and we will not lay down and say okay – we will fight and we will cry and we will support each other and we will find a cure and better management – and my daughter and all those like her will have a better brighter future because her family and friends took the time to simply care about her and stand up next to her!

I am glad I took this long journey this month – and that you took it with me – stay tuned – two more blogs for this month – and then I will return less often, but will still here telling our story because as I said at the beginning that has made the biggest difference of all!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment