On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Monday, November 21, 2011

HOPE - a four letter word with so many meanings............

November 21, 2011

Another exhausting long day – oh yeah it is a Monday that is what they are for! My day started early with me rushing out the door at 5:30am with a quick stop for my cup of coffee and a donut (not realizing this is all I would put into my body until now I should have opted for a bagel!) I did get to refill my coffee upon arrival at work and then I started running, literally, from one meeting to the next until I rushed out of the last one to get to my son’s Cub Scout Pack meeting where I had to wrangle my scouts and work one of the rotation stations – luckily I got the “easy” one where each scout did a card for themselves to read on Thanksgiving – “I am thankful for…..”

It was during my exhausted state of being at the Pack meeting that I realized today’s theme for my blog – no not what I am thankful for (saving that one for Thursday!) - tonight turned out to be about HOPE! 

Not the HOPE for a cure or better medical/insurance coverage for everyone – I HOPE for those things all the time - tonight was about the reason I am writing a blog a HOPE for awareness and understanding. While I was walking about chatting with parents I had A LOT of them say to me – “I have been reading your blog.”

Wow there is HOPE – hope that I am making a difference – so many people tonight gave me that HOPE with those simple words. They approached me and talked to me about things – diabetic things and issues in my life. They talked to me about their favorite blogs, what they learned, the people they know with diabetes – it was amazing. My pure exhaustion and lack of food intake didn’t matter anymore – there was HOPE. People are realizing what type 1 diabetes is and how it affects our family and others around the world. Maybe I am only impacting those in my little part of the world but HOPEFULLY they will spread it to their little worlds and those people will spread it to their worlds and so on and so on. The purpose of my blog after 21 days was really showcasing itself tonight and so was HOPE!

While writing the blog I have been emailed by a few people and today was one of those days where I received an email from a friend of my in-laws that is also a type 1 diabetic. She gave me a great deal of HOPE – for all things diabetic but also that she was also reading my blog. She was taking her time to see another’s struggles with this disease and took the time to write me the most lovely email today – a day of HOPE for another to share their story.

So there is HOPE that people are taking the time to learn about my family and talk about it to me and to others. There is HOPE for funds - a handful of people asked how they donate directly to Allison’s team for her ride already or said they would help with the next fundraiser. There is HOPE that the kids at that meeting are going to learn from their parents that you are never too old to learn something new. There is HOPE that my friends and support system work!

The word HOPE dangles from my daughter’s emergency bracelet – why - because we are continuing to HOPE for a cure and continuing to HOPE for a better and greater understanding of this disease. Tonight I feel like maybe we are succeeding in securing the HOPE for that better and greater understanding.

Now let’s get to work on the HOPE for a cure!!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment