On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Saturday, November 10, 2012

A blue candle is lit - a sad day for a type 1 family......

I couldn't write a blog yesterday because I was too busy trying to forget the reality of the story I read about Joel Cannable - a young man that lost his war with diabetes a few days ago. (Yes I firmly believe young because he is my age!) His passing of a diabetic seizure is a tragedy beyond words for his family and one that every parent (no matter the age of their type 1 child) has in the back of their heads pretty much at all times - some people wonder why I get up and check Allison's blood sugars at midnight and 3am - this is why.

My prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends of this bright young light that has left our world. Here is the story the news reported on Joel Cannable.



Take a moment during this Diabetes Awareness Month and remember a person that did not hide his diabetes, managed it well but still lost the war. Let us all be aware of what is at stake and why we need to be informed, educated and understand the dire consequences that can come on suddenly and sometimes without warning with type 1 diabetes - both the lows and the highs can be tragic.

In honor of Joel Cannable - I will light a blue candle - please join me in celebrating his life and praying for his family and lighting a blue candle in his memory.

 

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment