On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Friday, November 4, 2011

Diabetes through Allie's Dad's Eyes.. from our Guest Blogger Chris.....

What I like best about diabetes....despite the massive changes we have endured and seeing this happen to my daughter who I unabashedly (and of course without bias) consider to be the sweetest child in the world...it is manageable. It still sucks...a lot.

Through the challenges I have gained an greater appreciation for all the things Allison can do -- she is a year round athlete going from fall soccer, to winter basketball, to spring softball, to summers spent swimming all day down at Grandma and Grandpa's and dance nearly year round. Unfortunately my focus now is not just about enjoying being a part of my daughters activities -- I am watching, but now I am watching for signs -- is she sweating more than normal, cheeks too rosy or not rosy enough, energy level off -- bottom line... is her blood sugar dropping or rising to unsafe levels. Does this take away some of the joy of watching your child participate? Maybe a little...until you see through the sweat and rosy cheeks her big blue eyes shining along with a big smile after a great play on defense or scoring a goal. Then you realize how thankful you are that she can participate -- she can accomplish her goals and achieve whatever heights her mind can imagine. I have found that to be my constant focus since diagnosis -- "diabetes is manageable...it sucks...but I will not let this inhibit my daughter from realizing her dreams!" Big talk! The reality of it is through her own strength of character and sense of purpose she is resolutely not letting diabetes get in the way her being a kid, or growing, or dreaming big. I admire her every day.

What I like the least...while manageable it places an additional layer of risk on my child's well being both in the short and long term. 99, 125, 351, 317, 65 -- these are a string of recent blood sugar "numbers" from a single day. Our current "normal" is to keep it between 80-180. We are new to this and still dealing with things like the "honeymoon" phase and figuring out corrections but this has been one of the biggest challenges to deal with -- from my standpoint of course since I don't have to get at least 4 shots a day (including a particularly awful one in my butt before bed).

These layers of risk add layers of decision making on us that can impact the short and long term well being of Allie. So on top of all the other decisions we are making as parents that can impact our child we are adding these -- and math is involved... I hate math...not as much as diabetes but it is up there. The nighttime is when those added parental fears creep in -- really the only time of day when she is alone -- hard to describe the anxiety when either the alarm goes off at 2am or you are shook out of sleep for some other reason -- my routine is always the same --- immediately check on her, touch her head, brush her bangs from her face, feel comfort in the rise and fall of her breathing chest, test....in range...thank God!...low...get the juice box...really low...get the juice and worry until morning.

My smart, fun, beautiful daughter will outgrow the attention and dependence on her dad -- hopefully not too fast -- she will move out and strike out on her on life journey and the day to day management of her diabetes I am involved in will be less and less. So I will continue to cherish her completely, take heart in her toughness in standing up to this direct challenge and gladly shoulder a small slice of the burden to maintain her wellness.

Diabetes is manageable...just like not getting hit by a bus is manageable...only looking both ways is not enough! Allie will manage (hopefully her parents will too!) and God willing she will not have to face a serious health risk associated with diabetes -- but those risks are there and they are life and death. So let's find a cure and we can all get a good nights sleep!

Happy Diabetes Awareness Month!
Chris

1 comment:

  1. Both you and Jennifer are great orators and I find every one of these blogs so far heart wrenching and inspirational. You guys are the BEST parents and I know you will always be fighting for the cure. Love all of you! Aunt Missy

    ReplyDelete