On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Quest for Understanding - There are TWO types of Diabetes!

November 5, 2011

When you have a child with a disease or any other issue you open your world to a lot of people making numerous comments that make no sense or are completely inaccurate (I have to believe that they think they are doing it out of kindness – or I would be punching a lot more people these days!)

The hardest part is explaining to someone that feels they know more about your disease than you, even though you are living with it day and day out. At first I just accepted the comments with an “okay” and moved along as soon as you I could, but not anymore!

Diabetes is very misunderstood.

First and foremost there are 2 types of diabetes:
Type 1 – Insulin Dependent from the onset and for the rest of your life with little to no understanding of the cause or why it happened to you or your family member, and
Type 2 – Healthy diet and exercise and for most people a pill can manage this type. They know or are aware of the major causes for this type: family history, diet and lifestyle all play a part. You should know if you are at risk for Type 2 – please find out – you can work on avoiding it more if you know! (Check out this website to check your risk factors: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/diabetes-risk-test/?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=DropDownDB&utm_content=RiskTest&utm_campaign=CON

More people have Type 2 and are at risk for Type 2 – everyone that thinks they understand diabetes knows it from people with Type 2 – most people do not understand that Type 1 is in no way avoidable and you really can’t know if you are at risk for Type 1.

When I explain my daughter has Type 1 Diabetes – people either miss the words Type 1 or they assume it is the same as the diabetes they have heard about, here are a FEW of the comments I have had said to me:

 “Wow Allie seems active does she not do anything at home, you should work with her on being more active that will probably help it?”

“Allie is skinny though, I thought only fat people got that?”

 “How do you manage the different foods she has to eat? No more sugar – do you buy all diet foods now?”

“My grandpa had that  - he lost his foot – keep her eating right and exercising and hopefully she will keep her feet – you should see a podiatrist right away – I know a good one.”

 “So how long does her doctor think she will have it?”

“Well that isn’t so bad, she will probably grow out of it”

I didn't say "okay" to any of these comments - I responded to each of these misunderstandings with some of the following: Allie is a healthy, happy and extremely active young lady – she is not and never has been a “couch potato,” she can eat ANYTHING she wants, but like everyone a healthy diet is better, I am going right along with the plan her diabetes doctor and I have in place for her and I am not too concerned about her feet at this point, and she will ALWAYS have it – there is no magic pill or amount of diet or exercise that will make it go away – a cure is the only thing that will help her.

My quest for this month, as Diabetes Awareness Month – and for the rest of my life is three-fold:
1. Educate and make sure everyone knows what Type 1 diabetes is and how our family (and others with this disease) deals with it daily;
2. How there is a difference between Type 1 and Type 2 (and everyone should find out if they are in the “risk” group for Type 2.); and
3. Have all my friends and family be a part of our “team” and help us fight for and find a CURE for Type 1 diabetes.

If you want to help start by educating yourself and all those around you – please do your research and never hesitate to correct a misunderstanding. Allie, her brother Ryan, sister Sammie, her dad and I will continue to hear for the rest of our lives the uneducated comments, and we will continue to correct them. Please join us and empower yourself and others with knowledge and understanding so we can rid the world of ignorance and motivate others to see that diabetes is a huge issue not just for those that have it!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer 

2 comments:

  1. This is very well said. I saw your link to your blog on the facebook comment for ADA. I am a diabetes provider/educator and feel greatly for all my patients. Type I for kids (and adults) is such a challenge as well as Type II. Having the whole family involved is so great. You are a wonderful parent. Good for you to educate others on the misunderstandings and there are numerous. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jen and some of these comments have been said to me over and over and it hurts people just don't understand ~Korin~

    ReplyDelete