On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wearing diabetes on my wrist.......

See This....
 
 
 
I looked down yesterday and realized that I have been wearing this for a year. Last year we got these braclets at a meeting with the American Diabetes Association and my daughter Allison asked if I would be willing to wear it for a whole year. I of course took on that challenge and starting Nov. 1, 2011 - the start of Diabetes Awareness Month last year - I put this on my wrist.
 
I have worn it without removal for an entire year, bathing, swimming, sleeping, meetings - everywhere. At first I  noticed it and it bothered me a bit but then it became a part of me. A part of who I had become, a part of my attire. I wore it with pride and knowing that although I could not experience the daily things my daughter deals with I could at least have on me at all times a reminder of my daughter and her struggles.
 
Unlike this braclet Allison cannot take off diabetes for a while, she cannot remove it from her body because it doesn't go with the business outifit or if it bothers her when she sleeps. So I will continue to wear this braclet until it falls off my wrist - and then I will get another one - and I will wear that one - to always be a reminder that there is something greater than me out there - my daughter who deals with the challenges diabetes gives her daily.
 
You don't have to wear a braclet with me - but this month if you want wear a ribbon and show your support to Allison and all those others out there with diabetes that you are going to be with them and help them along the way and find a way to STOP DIABETES in their lifes.
 
Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment