On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Recognizing my Type 1 Hero Roxanne (Who is yours?)................


November 1, 2012

Today is Type 1 Day – a day we recognize all those that we know that have Type 1 Diabetes and all the challenges and issues they face every minute of every day carrying around this disease.

Those that I know with type 1 are the strongest, bravest, energizing and engaging people in my life. My daughter is no exception to this (but you can read many blogs about my daughter and how wonderful and amazed I am at her.) Today I celebrate another friend of mine, that although she is like me in many ways, she has a son that was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, a son that does not have type 1 diabetes, a supportive husband and is a naturally happy person – so much like me – BUT she also has type 1 diabetes.

She grew up with it from a young age. She experienced it in a different time when medicines and mechanics were not as sophisticated as they are today. She went through her teenage years with this disease, she went through dating and marriage and the birth of two wonderful children with this disease.

She has experienced “highs” and “lows” I will never know – but she still carries herself with great dignity and pride. She is teaching her sons that life isn’t about having diabetes – it is about living life to the fullest no matter what lies in your path.

In the past year that I have known her she has helped carry the troubles of other parents that are dealing with the stresses of this disease with their children without regard to the fact that she actually knows what it is like to be that child.

Since meeting her one thing I have prayed for, almost as much as I have prayed for a cure, is that my daughter will look at this beautiful amazing young woman and realize that life doesn't stop, that you are capable of living a fun and fulfilling life even with diabetes.

Thank you Roxanne for being an inspiration to me and to the countless others that have, and will, cross your path – you are a true Type 1 Hero – today I recognize you for all you do and all you accomplish as a person thriving with this disease!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment