On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Magic Was in the Air......

I was nervous starting out the day yesterday without Allison's pump - we have gotten so used to it's ease of use and calculations for us that I wasn't sure what was in store for us as we embarked on the ever crazy world of a busy theme park! But, magic was in the air!

Except for a couple crazy lows from excitement we had numbers all within range yesterday - truly a magically day with diabetes. Not only that, my daughter again taught me something about her "vacation plans" and diabetes. I thought we were going to have be "sneaky" and "silent" about it all day - trying to find remote places to check blood sugars and inject the insulin! NOPE that didn't have anything to do with her vacation from her pump - it was just that from her pump - not from people knowing about diabetes.

Magic was in the air!

When we sat down to eat lunch she just let us do it right there at the table we were able to just whip everything out there - check blood sugar, draw up the insulin and stick it in her arm - she didn't care, didn't flinch, it didn't bother her.

Magic was in the air!

As we were sitting waiting for the 3pm parade I looked at her and thought she seemed "low" so I asked if she would check her blood sugar. Not a private place around - she just grabbed the meter, opened it up and proceeded. The adults around me gave me a second and one a third look - the kids that surrounded her on the ground all gathered around to "see" what she was doing. She explained it to them - and the adults overheard. One of them leaned over to me and ask "how old is she?" My first thought was one of negativity - he was about to say something incorrect or stupid to me about diabetes, that he didn't know the difference between type 1 and type 2 - I was wrong, again. I told him she was 8 - diagnosed at 6, a year and a half ago. His comment back to me was "She is amazing to handle all those kids and us adults watching her and she explained it so well to those little kids - she has a real handle on her life - good for you and her!"

Magic was in the air!

Then they invited all the kids to come play on main street while we waited for the parade. If Allison had not removed her pump from her side she would never had "jumped" at this opportunity - she loves to jump rope but complains of the bother of her pump "jumping around too much" while she does it - she leaped up and ran over and got in line - and jumped her heart out!



Magic was in the air!

Later we decided to get some ice cream! As we sat down with our treat and prepared to watch a show at Cinderella's Castle (the most magically place of all) - I had to check her and give her a needle with insulin. Honestly I didn't want to do it sitting on the ground surrounded by tons of others but Allison didn't care so we did. As I drew up the needle - the looks from people around me came on strong! As I prepped her skin she said - no wait I'll do it! Talk about stares! As my 8 year old daughter inserted her needle of insulin into the back of her own arm, I got a pat on my back. Allison gave me the needle I secured it and looked at the person sitting next to me that had patted my back. "WOW - I am a nurse and work with training patients to give themselves shots - I can't think of half of them being able to do what she just did - how old is she? She really is just amazing!"

Magic was in the air!

I learned magic isn't about me being able to make a quarter disappear (although my kids love it when I do that) - it is about innocence, happiness and trusting that those around aren't always going to be negative. So maybe we didn't get the magic of diabetes being cured but we did get the magic of it being understood and no one we encountered was afraid of it or us when we showed it to the world - that did make it a MAGICAL day!

Magic does exist and maybe fairy tale dreams and wishes can come true - so I will continue to wish upon a star that one day a cure will come......

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

(Oh and meeting, MICKEY, MINNIE, DAISY and seeing ALL the PRINCESS - that definitely added to the MAGIC of the day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment