On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Our world wore blue, and ribbons, and t-shirts and their support for us......


Yesterday was Allison’s 2nd Diaversary. We spent the day trying to make Allison feel special – instead of different. We succeeded. Why? Because of people that have crossed our path - some recently and some many, many years ago.

I asked a simple thing – wear your support for Allison on May 1. I was amazed, stunned and in awe of the numbers of people that did just that. Yesterday I realized that there are people in our lives – some we talk to often and some we only catch up with only now and then – that are with us in this fight for a better life for Allison.

I thought yesterday was going to be hard for me. I thought I would be full of tears thinking of the past – what it was like for us two years ago, all we lost in that moment, missing our “old” life.  Our world proved me wrong. I had tears in my eyes frequently yesterday – but they were tears of from my heart not being able to contain how much LOVE there is in our  world.

From the sea of blue worn in honor of Allison at her school – to the picture of large groups gathered from old and new groups of friends.  There was picture after picture of people wearing their support and many notes from those that did not have access to a camera that they were indeed wearing their support of Allison and it went on all day!

May 1 isn’t an official National or World Diabetes Awareness day – but it is OUR Diabetes Awareness Day. It was on May 1 that we became aware of this disease and all the misconceptions and misinformation there is about it. May 1 is Holdgreve Diabetes Awareness Day and on this May 1 I was shown that over the past two years we have made others aware of what it is and aware of the need for a cure and better management of this silent disease.

I have more inspiration now – I won't be taking it purely from my amazing daughter – it comes from every single person that took a moment out of their lives yesterday and thought about her and others that they know that suffer from type  1 diabetes . I am inspired to keep moving forward and focus on the future and only learn from the past. 

Yesterday wasn't about about raising money (that is needed and important – no research is free) but about supporting each other in whatever way you can – and wearing blue, a ribbon, a t-shirt supporting diabetes awareness – and telling the world and Allison you did it – that was priceless.

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

Here are only two of the MANY photos from May 1--



No comments:

Post a Comment