On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Saturday, May 18, 2013

My day of pure inspiration...........

The spirit that encompasses today – our ride in the Chesapeake Bay Tour de Cure – moves me beyond words could ever express.

We all have so many emotions in our lives – this one day showcases every single emotion I think I could ever have – from great sadness that we are here participating because my daughter has this disease to the overwhelming spirit of the ultimate pride and pure happiness I have in human spirit to overcome something horrible (like diabetes) together.

I found myself last year on the verge of tears all day long –never not once for the sadness of being put in this place in our lives - but for the overwhelming spirit of all those that were present at the event.

Watching my daughter pedal her bike – stopping on occasion for some Gatorade and blood sugar check. Never complaining, smiling the whole way and enjoying every minute!



Seeing my son run his Cub Scouts for a Cure rest stop with such enthusiasm and support for every single rider that came through - knowing he was NEVER thinking of himself – truly unselfish motivation from a 10 year old boy!

The other riders as they passed my daughter shout “go Red Rider!”

Seeing the other Red Riders and being able to shout “go Red Rider!”

The volunteers that were there to support and talk to every person that crossed their path and them thanking us for riding – when they were giving their time to support us.

The sponsors that make this event possible – from the food to the “goody” bags of things that a diabetic might need!

The staff of the Maryland ADA – unwavering advocates that made the day full of FUN and inspiration for everyone.

And all of the friends that came out to see us finish the ride and hear Allison give her speech about her life.
It is another year – and today will be no different – I know I will shed tears of joy today. We will all be there again supporting and lifting each other up - realizing that we are not alone ever . This one day today will last a whole year for us – it will empower us to keep advocating for more research and education and will help us manage the many ups and downs we have in our lives.

So bring on the emotions and tears (I will remember Kleenex this year!) and Let’s Ride!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment