On May 1, 2011 our families world was changed forever. Allison (our middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes - but life as we knew it could not stop. All of our activities and our other children did not change just a new twist on how to manage this new world. Figuring it out together is challenging and this is our new world.....

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dear Diabetes,

Dear Diabetes:

Okay I am going to give this round in our fight – and say that you won this one time. I got less than an hour of sleep last night all because of you. You are a cruel and unfeeling beast that crept into our lives and so far we have taken a beating but we haven’t let you really win. An hour of tossing and turning and constant worry is not a way to start your day – but here I am getting up and starting my day – so you win this round.

But, you only won with me, the parent. My daughter is a rock star – she barely knew you were there – she drank a lot of juice and sweated so much she has to take another shower this morning putting our schedule behind a little.  However, she won’t remember you being there last night and she won’t complain – so you only won the round with me and only by a hair.

Unlike you we will carry on with our day and be nice to those around us, we will say please and thank you and we will care about those that are affected by us being around them. You are a horrible thing that seems to rear the ugliest part of yourself when we need you to be most under control. You should take some lessons in your approach – if you ever wanted us to not hate you then you should never show that ugly head of yours.

I suppose it is too late – we already hate you. I am sorry to use such a strong word, oh wait no I’m not. We HATE you and I will not apologize for that feeling. You came into our lives without an invitation and you are staying even if we beg you to leave. How very rude of you to be such an unwelcome guest! I never use the word hate – it is so mean and cruel – or wait so are YOU!

So for today I will admit you have won like on May 1 when you slapped us in the face, tonight you beat me to a pulp in the middle of the night. The other 283 days however go to the Holdgreve Family, some were hard fought and we came out of them battered and bruised but we still beat you.

I could make this letter about begging you to leave us but, I know that is fruitless at the moment, You will continue your rudeness and stick around as an unwelcome guest for awhile, but you will not win the battle with us!  You might win a few rounds but in the end we are going to kick you’re a@$ to the curb and stomp you out of our lives. You go ahead and treat me to sleepless nights and nightmares – but I am putting you on notice I will NOT let you win – I will fight you tooth and nail for the rest of my life until you are no longer rearing your head in our family. So take your couple of wins and shove them where the sun don't shine!

Until there is a cure,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment